A place for you to keep in contact with others who have had the hostel experience. Update everyone with your news, post the latest funnies, lost an address - someone out there will have it, let everyone know when you're returning, the ideas are endless.
Remember-Chris-Plakias-Reunion-in-Plakias in September
- 16.05.2013 22:41
- On Facebook the idea came up to do a special Remember-Chris-Plakias-Reunion-in-Plakias in September. It would be great to gather with some friends of Chris, talk about him, celebrate his life and legacy and of course enjoy all the good things of being in the hostel and in Plakias together. Nothing too formal and official, just have a good time together.
The weekend of 14 and 15 September came up as an appropriate date: just after the summer madness and still well ahead so those who want to join have time to arrange it.
If you are on Facebook, see: https://www.facebook.com/events/450235038400464/
Otherwise just join. It will be legendary! :-)
- 09.05.2013 08:37
- For more than one year there had been no new uploads. All postings seem only to happen on FB. So I took the album off and replaced it with an information page about activities in and around Plakias.
- Raki Nick
- 02.04.2013 20:49
- Hello Plakias How is the mood in Crete during the austerity measures that are currently taking place? Is it business as usual or should we go elsewhere for our vacation. The last time we where there in 2010, we had a wonderful time and hope that things have not changed too much. Would love to visit again in mid May
Nick and Gillian
- 02.04.2013 21:02
- Nick and Gillian,
I come from the U.S. ( may and September)twice every season for the last 8 years and I have seen zero change!! Plakias is still the magical paradise it has always been!! May is also one of the most beautiful times to visit!
- 20.03.2013 21:54
- Hi can you tell me what time the last bus is from Rethymnon to Plakias, I will be arriving 1st August arriving at 2.00pm Hereklion airport.
- Youth Hostel Plakias
- 20.03.2013 22:18
in August there are normally about 6 busses a day from Rethymno to Plakias (now there are only 2).
The last one should be after 6pm. We will post the latest schedule here on our website or visit in June:
Expect To See
- Youth Hostel Plakias
- 19.03.2013 11:23
- The hostel will open in a few days - it's time for an "Expect To See":
Jeroen is already in Plakias preparing himself for the first BIG riverwalk and posting tons of spring pictures in Facebook to make everybody jealous.
(Good job, J.!)
Our old friends Emma, Shannon and Flo are living in Plakias. Soon Henk will arrive. Jorgy will join him for chess games end of April.
Among the first guests we expect Jens & the geologists, Katharina & Gerald, Joachim the teacher - later in April Frauke will arrive with a friend and Anja. Filip ("Bunker") with girlfriend end of april.
George T. will come in May, Ute & Susanne from Berlin, our dear friend Marilyn and Maria from Norway.
Sam Dimblebee will arrive in June/July.
The cats miss Ameigh - but they have still to wait until autumn. Also Amy is coming quite late in the season this year.
We also expect Brigitta and many others...
Who else? Add your travel plans here or on our facebook-page:
Youth Hostel Plakias on Facebook
How to find a cheap flight to Crete
- Youth Hostel Plakias
- 16.02.2013 16:30
- How to find a cheap flight to Crete:
I recommend to start your search with an independent flight serach engine like Skyscanner or Swoodoo. My personal favorite is:
If you are flexible try the first search for a full month - the result gives you an idea about the cheapest days. Use "Crete" as destination instead of "Heraklion" - some flights to the second airport Chania (CHQ) are cheaper than to Heraklio (HER) and airlines like Ryanair fly only to Chania.
It is also a good idea to subscribe to newsletters from your local low cost airlines. Some airlines have special time-limited offers. Their newsletters will inform you.
If you can't find a good deal, you can also wait until a day or two before you want to go to crete and then check for last-minute offers. L-Tur is one of the companies in Europe who offer so called "super-last-minute" flights with a big discount. The risk is, that all flights are sold out or no Last-Minute offer is available.
Another option is to check not only the two cretan airports but also Athens, Mykonos, Santorini and Rhodes and to take a ferry to crete. The ferries from Athens usually leave around 9pm and arrive on crete in the early morning. A ferry ticket is about 30 € oneway. Calculate 2 hours from the airport to the port in Piraeus.
For detailed ferry schedules check Greek Travel Pages